Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Clean Eating Cobb Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing

Stefan and I are going on a cleanse this week. Nothing extreme, but just a clean eating week of no processed foods, only complex carbs, no added simple sugars, limit dairy and extra veggies. (And no alcohol for me) We don't usually eat that poorly during the weeks, especially when I'm cooking, but on the weekends we cheat. Our gym has been under construction for the past couple weeks, and we've been finding other ways to work out, but we just feel a little off and tired. Trying to kick start ourselves back up again.

For dinner on Monday night I made a cleaned up version of a cobb salad. No crumbled blue cheese, used turkey bacon, on a bed of butter lettuce and spinach. I ripped up the spinach because I feel like it's easier to eat raw spinach in smaller chunks than whole leaves. I can't really handle the texture of raw spinach that hasn't been doused in dressing. Cobb salads are usually best eaten with ranch or blue cheese dressing. I wanted something rich and creamy without the all the sugars and cream, so I decided to make a simple honey mustard, which turned out fantastic!

(I learned a new easy method on how to hard boil eggs! Pre-heat oven to 325. Place eggs in muffin pan, cook for 30 mins, then place eggs in cold water to cool down for about 10 minutes before peeling. The eggs came out perfectly. On the egg whites a few tiny brown spots will appear, but they do nothing to affect the flavor of the eggs. )

Ingredients:

Salad:
4 cups salad greens ( I used butter lettuce and spinach)
2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
4 strips turkey bacon, cooked and chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 half avocado, chopped
1/4 jicama, shredded
1 carrot, shredded
2 Tbsp sunflower seed kernels

Dressing:
1 Tbsp yellow mustard
1 Tbsp stone ground dijan mustard
2 tsp honey
2 tsp olive oil

Directions:

1) Divide all the ingredients onto two plates.

2) Mix all the dressing ingredients together. Divide the dressing on both salads and enjoy!

Serves: 2
Prep time: 30 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment