Thursday, October 2, 2014

Lucky Fried Brown Rice

Day 3 completed! Haven't had any processed foods, no simple carbs or added sugars, and have been feeling great. I roasted up some fresh turkey last night so I'm looking forward to having some more great sandwiches. (And PIG is excited too! He sat in the kitchen and drooled while I was slicing it until I finally gave him some.)

Last night I cooked a recipe from one of my favorite food bloggers, Gina Homolka from Skinnytaste.com  I absolutely love her recipes. Her website helped me lose weight while keeping Stefan happy with the foods I was cooking. She's a major inspiration in how I now cook myself. You can still eat all your favorite foods and still be healthy by cooking things yourself and just making some minor changes here and there.

She just released her first cookbook this week and I was dying to try one of the recipes out. I made Garlic Lemon Shrimp and Broccolini; it was wonderful! I was going to just pair it with plain brown rice on the side, but decided to cook up a simple fried rice. Simple ingredients, not a lot of prep, and very tasty.

I'm calling this fried rice 'lucky' because as soon as we sat down to eat, Brandon Crawford hit a grand slam in the NL Wild Card game vs. the Pirates, which was the spark that led them to a win. Go Giants!

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups cooked brown rice, cooled.
2 eggs
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3/4 cup mixed frozen chopped vegetables; mine had peas, corn, carrots, beans
2 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp sesame oil

Directions:

1) Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add the frozen veggies. Cook for about 5-10 minutes until heated through.

2) Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Scoot all the veggies towards the side of the pan. Scramble the 2 eggs on the other side of the pan. Once the eggs are cooked through, combine the veggies and eggs.

3) Add rice into pan and mix all together, cooking for another minute. Add the soy sauce and sesame oil. Stir, serve and enjoy!

Serves: 4
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment